Nutrition and Dietetics
The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at St. Michael’s Hospital provides a service to patients on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. A dietitian is a health professional who applies knowledge of nutrition to promote health, prevent disease and aid in the management of illnesses.
We develop, implement and monitor nutritional care plans to meet individual patient needs using evidence-based practice.We also provide nutrition education to all relevant staff and through research, audit and evaluation as well as working within the hospital’s multi-disciplinary team to provide patient-centred care.
The department works closely with the catering department in the planning and provision of therapeutic diets for the hospital menu and is also involved in the protected mealtime policy
The aim of the mealtime policy is to improve the nutritional care of patients by supporting the consumption of food and to create an environment on the wards at mealtimes that is conducive to eating. Protected mealtime is from 12.15-13.15 and we ask that there is no visiting during this time unless it is to assist the patient with their meals.
Our service is available to those who are currently in–patients in the hospital or those referred via the pulmonary and cardiac rehab programmes.
The main conditions that may require a referral to our service are malnutrition, gastro related disorders, diabetes, pulmonary disease, pressure ulcers, cardiac rehab, weight management, dementia, and neurological disorder such as Parkinson’s disease as well as many others. The dietitian acts as an advocate for those with specialised dietary requirements and we refer/liaise with the community dietetic services for continuity of care where applicable.
In-patients are referred to us by the St. Michael’s Hospital teams. A written referral is required. A person may also contact us if they have attended previously and wish to be seen again.
- Twice-weekly cardiac rehab clinic held in the Cardiac Rehab Department
- Pulmonary rehab clinic held once every six weeks in the Respiratory Department
- Gastro clinic held once every 2 weeks in OPD clinic
- Diabetes clinic held three days per week in the diabetes centre.
Useful contact information
- Dietetic Manager – Ciara Murphy – Department of nutrition & Dietetics
- tel: (01) 271 3036 Bleep 44 EXT: 7628
- Senior Dietitian – Pauline Owens – Department of nutrition & Dietetics
- tel: (01) 271 3036 Bleep 23 EXT: 7627
- Diabetes Centre – Ciara Murphy – Dietetic Manager
- tel: (01) 663 9822 Bleep 44 EXT: 7628
- Dietitian – Lydia Hendy – Department of nutrition & Dietetics
- tel: (01) 271 3036 Bleep 97 EXT: 7397
tel: (01) 271 3036
St. Michael’s Hospital
Mon to Fri: 09.00 – 17.00