The Sisters of Mercy founded St. Michael’s Hospital in 1876 with a bed complement of 40 beds. It has a long tradition of service to the community and has established a strong reputation for a high standard of patient care.
The Hospital was extended in the 1930’s and the rustic brickwork was completed in 1940. The Religious Sisters of Mercy governed the hospital until 2001 when the transfer of ownership was passed to the Religious Sisters of Charity.
In March 2002 St. Michael’s Hospital was incorporated with St. Vincent’s University Hospital and later with St. Vincent’s Private Hospital, thus forming in 2003 the St. Vincent’s Healthcare Group under the governance of the Board of Directors. Each hospital has a separate management team and a hospital manager who reports to the group CEO.