Newly diagnosed patient-nurse-led education
Since March 2010, we have been running a new service for newly-diagnosed diabetes patients that encompasses two stages:
(1) initial patient assessment and education sessions in the Diabetes Day Centre that are scheduled promptly
(2) an outpatient clinic appointment that is scheduled routinely. Patients with symptomatic hyperglycaemia are identified for immediate medical assessment. Patients with pre-diabetes will be assessed by the dietitian with ongoing GP review recommended.
This new service has been most beneficial to the patient in a number of ways. They see the diabetes nurse and the dietitian, the patient’s anxiety level is decreased through information they receive, and they leave the Diabetes Day Centre capable of monitoring their blood glucose, safe in the knowledge they can contact the centre by phone if needed – while waiting for their out-patient appointment.
- Learning area for Higher Diploma students undertaking Higher Diploma in Diabetes Nursing (UCD)
- Patient education for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Weekly outpatient clinics including dedicated Type 1 clinic
- Insulin pump starts
- Monthly insulin pump clinic
- Nurse-led visit for newly diagnosed patients with diabetes mellitus
- Ongoing dietetic education and support for patients with diabetes mellitus
- Crisis management for patients experiencing self-management problems
- Appointments by booking only.
- Detailed foot assessment and fast track referral to podiatry/wound care as appropriate
- Ongoing support and education for existing patients and their carers and families
- Education service to the greater community eg. surrounding nursing homes and public health nurses and carers through the provision of Category 1 approved An Bord Altranais study days.
- In house doctor, nurse and carer training
- Nurse prescribing
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Ongoing monitoring of in house patients with diabetes mellitus
- Weekly refresher/intensification of inpatient experiencing difficulty in self-management of diabetes mellitus (St. Josephs Ward St. Michael’s Hospital).
- Weekly endocrinology clinic
Useful contact information
Head of Department – Dr David Slattery, Consultant Endocrinologist
tel: (01) 663 9822
Dietitian: (01) 663 9823
Mon to Fri : 09:00am – 16:30pm