Central Sterile Services
The hospital’s sterile services department is responsible for the processing and sterilisation of surgical instruments and other medical devices required for operations and sterile procedures in the operating theatres, OPD, day ward and Radiology Department.
Medical devices are subject to a thorough washing and disinfection treatment followed by inspection, packing and sterilisation by qualified technicians.
All instruments are identified by a specific barcode that allows the tracing of all medical devices throughout the entire decontamination process.
- Collection of used equipment/medical devices
- Sorting, cleaning, drying and inspection of surgical instruments
- Storage and distribution of sterile goods
- Render Reusable Invasive Medical Devices (RIMD) safe for handling by staff and use on patients
Useful contact details
- Head of Department – Maribel Franco
- email: M.Franco@stmichaels.ie
tel: (01) 280 6901
St. Michael’s Hospital
off Crofton Rd
Mon to Thurs: 8.00 – 18.30
Fri: 8.00 – 15.30