COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Outreach is a hospital at home service which has been shown to be a safe, well tolerated and economic alternative to hospital admission for COPD. Approximately one in four patients with an exacerbation of COPD will be suitable to be treated in a hospital at home setting.
This service will provide supported discharge options to patients who present with an uncomplicated exacerbation of COPD as well as facilitating links between primary care and the acute hospital setting.
1. To provide a high quality, patient-friendly alternative to hospital care in the form of a hospital at home programme.
2. To provide a safe, planned early discharge of patients with an acute exacerbation of COPD.
3. To identify patients early and educate them and their families on the self-management of their disease.
4. To provide patients with the skills to maintain optimal health and to minimize the effect or even prevent the onset of an exacerbation.
1. Early supported discharge programme
2. Assisted discharge program
Useful contact information
- Medical Director and Head of Department – Prof.Tim McDonnell. Consultant Respiratory Physician
- Senior Physiotherapist – TBC
- CNS, Respiratory Nurse – Rachel Martin
tel: (01) 271 3015
Mon-Fri: 8.00– 16.00